Valentine’s Day is all about letting the people you love know exactly how you feel about them, how much you love and appreciate them, and how happy you are that they’re in your life. You can always write them a card, but what about the really special people? For those, send a message that’s as sweet as they are!
The best way to get that across is with a cherry pie envelope.
Don’t worry: no one is filling paper envelopes with cherries. Instead, these envelopes are bite-sized cherry pies designed to look like tiny love letters. It’s a Valentine’s Day twist on a classic favorite!
It takes the familiar tastes of flaky pie crust and sweet-and-tart cherries and gives them a little tweak to turn them into festive and unexpected treats. And the best part is that just like turning your cupcakes into hearts, they’re actually very easy to make!
All you’ll need are your favorite cherry pie filling, some pie crust (you can make your own or use store-bought, whatever you like), and an egg. Naturally, you can put your own spin on these any time of the year.
Try apple, peach or blueberry filling. These make a great companion to a cup of coffee in the morning, too, so you can enjoy them year-round!
Check out the recipe below, and watch the video to get the folding technique just right. ThenSHARE this simple but clever recipe with anyone who loves a little pie!
- 1 pkg. pie crust
- 1 container cherry pie filling
- 1 egg
- sparkling sugar for garnish
- Spread out pie crust.
- Cut out diamond shapes from the pie crust. We made four, but make as many as you need.
- From the excess crust, cut out small heart shapes using a cookie cutter.
- Lay out your crust diamonds.
- Place cherry pie filling in the center of each diamond. We used eight cherries' worth.
- Fold in the side corners of the diamond and press gently together, then bring up the bottom corner, pressing gently on top. Leave the top "flap" open.
- Use a knife to carefully etch border lines into the edges of the flaps. This will also help the dough stay together.
- Brush with egg wash and place the heart cutout at the center, where the three corners join.
- Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 375 F for 15 minutes.
- Let cool and share with someone you love!
Due to restrictions, this video cannot
be viewed in your region.