Prue Leith says it would be a “dream” to land a job on the revamped Great British Bake Off.
The 76-year-old cookery expert confirmed she had had two auditions for the show which switches to Channel 4 this year.
Leith previously spent 11 years as judge on BBC Two’s The Great British Menu.
Channel 4 said it would be announcing the programme’s line-up “in due course”.
Speaking at a charity event on Tuesday, Leith said she was “certainly one of the runners” to be a judge on the show alongside Paul Hollywood, the only member of the current on-screen team who has chosen to stay with the show.
“I can wish. I can dream,” she said. “I’ve had two auditions with them and lots of meetings.
“So I mean I think I’m close but I know there are two people in the running. One other person.
“Of course I’d love to do it. Who wouldn’t want to do it?”
She added: “I’ve known Mary [Berry] for years and she loved it.”
Leith’s agent confirmed to the BBC that she was interviewed for a job on the show at the end of last month.
But she said neither she nor Leith had received an offer from the show’s producers so far.
The Great British Bake Off has been without one of its judges since Berry, 81, confirmed she would not be following the show to its new home.
Co-hosts Mel Giedroyc and Sue Perkins also said they would not be “going with the dough“, leaving Hollywood as the lone survivor from the BBC’s version.
Born in South Africa in 1940, Prudence “Prue” Leith learned to cook at Le Cordon Bleu in London and opened her first restaurant in 1969.
She was made an OBE in 1989, a CBE in 2010 and is the chancellor of Queen Margaret University in Edinburgh.